Friday 12 August 2011

Who am I?

My name is David Powell. I live in a quiet town in sleepy Herefordshire in middle England, UK.. I lead a simple life, try to stay healthy and keep myself to myself. I suffer from full blown Bi-Polar or Manic Depressive Disorder. I both love and hate my disorder depending on how things are.

All the male members of my father’s side of the family share the condition to a greater or lesser degree. After years of confusing and difficult to understand shifts in my interaction with the world, I can now see clearly what a serious and under-estimated problem it is for those suffering the disorder. My uncle was an undiagnosed sufferer who committed suicide in his mid 50’s after a private struggle lasting all his adult life.

I don’t intend to do more than a give a brief outline of the basics of Bi-Polar, so you can understand the terminology used within this story. Unless you suffer Bi-Polar you have no idea how difficult it is to live with and to treat. Each case is individual and it affects the very essence of a person, everything they are and do. It is also a far greater killer than the majority of most physical diseases. Bi-Polar claims 15% of it’s sufferers to suicide and claims many more through risky behaviour and harmful substance abuse. Davesideways Ledbury

No comments:

Post a Comment